Friday, September 12, 2008

End of season wrap-up

Herewith an end of season wrap-up.  More film, pics and blather to follow from this year's safari.
To summarize:  I entered the Erie Canal on Mon., 14th July'08, just west of the bridge in Tonawanda (S.Delaware), learned  about equipment needs over the next 2 1nd half days, having arrived at Middleport.   More delays in getting adequate tarpaaulin coverage-like a month's worth- and a one day kayak stint(Middleport to Albion) on Aug.32rd.   Then more cogitating over tarps until I came up with a design worth trying.  Back to Albion on 2 Sept. with a pull-out at the junction of the  Erie and Cayuga-Seneca Canals on Sept.8.  There were 9 travel days all told  and one day "rained out".  Total Canal mileage : about 140 miles.  Average mph 2.5 per 6 hr. day.   I will relaunch next  July.   John

2 comments:

Bristolview said...

Greetings. I've just learned about your plans to trek the Erie Canal in an Escapade. Imagine my surprise, as I'm in fact planning to.... trek the Erie Canal in an Escapade. I'm designing a basic solar charging system to power navigation lights, and charge my PC and Mobile Phone. I have mobile data, to boy along the route as well as posting pictures, videos, local lore learned along the way, etc. I'm hoping to be as self sufficient as possible along the way, but I need to plan out lodging more; establishments along the way... hammock.... I'd love to talk with you and share insights and thoughts about our similar projects. If you are interested in a partner on your trek, we could discuss that too, but I won't assume you want to share the serenity of a solo trek. Please feel free to contact me, I look forward to talking with you. Cheers, Jason.

Bristolview said...

..I have mobile data, to BLOG along the route... oops.